Re: loading speakup_soft, was: Re: Broken espeakup on debian sid

Hi Alexander,

Le 19/09/2021 à 19:01, Alexander Epaneshnikov a écrit :
On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 08:57:56PM -0700, Gregory Nowak wrote:
On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 03:26:02PM -0400, Kirk Reiser wrote:
I noticed in the espeakup build systemd
services that it loads speakup_soft when the systemd service is
started.

I'm not crazy about that being the way to load speakup particularly
but I'm not that familiar with various distros way of doing things but
it appears the espeakup maintainers figure everyone is running
systemd.

No, not everyone is running systemd. I wonder where the espeakup
maintainers got such a notion from?

answering as an espeakup maintainer. I understand that not everyone
uses systemd and respect their choice.

unlike other init systems, systemd encourages upstreams to provide systemd
units on there own, I see no reason why we shouldn't do this, especially
since it's all optional.

I have no issue with that. I just don't package the systemd service.

I do the same for brltty.

Cheers,
Didier

I have plans to integrate more closely with systemd, but I will do my best
to maintain compatibility with other init systems.

As long as systemd does not become a hard dependency of espekaup I will
continue to include it in Slint.
testing is encouraged in any case.

That's one of the reasons I mentioned getting folks opinions in my
last message to you. For people that don't run systemd it will
certainly break things.

Great. Something else to look forward to fixing when devuan 5 is
coming out, sigh. Fortunately, that's a couple of years from now.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1