Re: 256 Colors

	Hello.  Yasr supports eflite, which uses the Flite software synthesizer from CMU.  I
believe it also supports some hardware synths, but since I don't use those, I don't remember
which ones it supports, though I'm pretty sure it talks to them using a serial port.  Since
Yasr runs completely in user space, with no kernel requirements whatsoever, the fact that it
hasn't been modified since 2008 is okay.  The version I use is based on code from 2005 and I
just started using it on a 64-bit system with no trouble a few months ago.  It's author,
Michael Gorse, recently put the source code on github, but I don't know if he's posted any
patches to it since he did that.  I submitted a bunch of patches back to him for incorporation
in the main stream, mostly to do things like auto-restart the synthesizer automatically when it
dies.  Anyway, I've found it to be very stable and it mostly stays out of the way and just
works for me.  Since it uses a terminal environment and since pseudo terminals (ptys) haven't
changed that much in the past 20 plus years, there isn't much to be done to keep it going.

Another option is to use brltty with screen in voice-only mode, assuming you don't have a
braille display.  I haven't actually tried this, though I have used brltty with a braille
display.
-Brian