Re: Flushing issue

It might be getting interrupted quickly, but at the wrong time.
IIRC, the core issue with espeak-ng (without speech dispatcher) is that there's no way to flush the audio without at least one buffer of audio playing. Speech-dispatcher, NVDA, etc don't care because they all use their own audio library. But espeakup and emacspeak use espeak-ng's built-in audio library and the performance isn't very good. While I haven't tried with espeakup, emacspeak was completely unusable on my Ubuntu 20.04 system with PulseAudio and whatever espeak-ng it had.

I'll try with espeakup and report back, since I assume this is the configuration most people would actually want to use. Yes you can get by on a mostly text-only system without pulse, but it has a lot of disadvantages.

If I interrupt speech, I want it interrupted as soon as I hit the key, not after whatever buffer plays because espeak can't tell the audio driver to stop. I think the old espeak did that.