Re: debian, orca

I think in debian 7, they install the gnome-session-fallback package and have the user created during the install default to the gnome classic desktop at login. I think they do this if you ask for speech during the install. But I'm just speculating because I have never not asked for speech during the install. I have checked some other machines that I did not set up and they don't have the gnome-session-fallback package.

The last time I tried debian 8 (jessie), none of this worked out of the box. I had to manually install gdm3 and gnome-session-fallback which in turn uninstalled a whole bunch of things and broke several others. I'm sure there is a way to make it work but pretty soon I figured I'd just wait until thay got it ironed out.

I have done the kind of install Tyler is asking about but it was maybe 6 months ago and my memory is a little vague. But I am pretty sure you have to install orca with 'apt-get install gnome-orca'. That will install orca, gnome, and gdm3 as dependencies. You also have to install gnome-session-fallback and then select the gnome classic desktop when you log in.

The people on the orca list would be able to answer these questions with a lot more certainty than I can.