Re: finished with slackware

Jude,

The ports on the backs of your laptops that feel like female DB9 sockets
are probably VGA ports rather than female RS232.  I have never known a
device other than a MODEM or MODEM-like device, such as an external
hardware synth like the Apollo to have a female DB9 on it.

I have a Dell D630 laptop.  This is a 64 bit machine and is built very
ruggedly and it has an RS232 port.  They are still available as refurbs
and I recommend them as Linux workhorses.

Mike

On 04/11/2014 11:00, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> I have an amd athelon k8 northbridge processor dual core machine with
> 1,000MB of memory on it and a litetalk synthesizer attached to its only
> serial port and keying in boot parameters almost as soon as starting the
> machine also fails on this hardware.  I can't do anything with slackware
> on the laptops I have since if those have serial ports, those ports have 9
> holes rather than 9 pins and the litetalk synthesizers do not come with
> dual serial plugs one with holes and the other with pins and I don't have
> the necessary cable to bend the gender.  When I moved out of Maryland I
> left too much technology there by other people's choices and where I'm at
> now I may be able to shop for technology once in a five year period of
> time.  Slackware needs to start emulating debian by making a boot beep
> happen at the boot prompt on their installation disks otherwise whatever
> other hardware I get in the future makes no sense to even consider that
> distribution.  The company is either unwilling or incapable of getting
> their subscription shipping problem straightened out too.
>

> jude <jdashiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Twitter: @jdashiel

Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer
Witley, Surrey, South-east UK

The box said: 'install Windows XP, 7 or better'. So I installed Linux

Interested in accessibility on the Raspberry Pi?
Visit: http://www.raspberryvi.org/