Latest Lenny kernel and ltlk module crash my system

Using a DEC Express, in all versions of speakup after about 1.5, I have
had an issue where long bouts of speech (a particularly verbal page on a
lynx screen, for example, or a directory listing which takes up the full
screen and a bit more), has caused the synth to abruptly stop in mid-read,
and keys to become unresponsive.

That sounds like what you are describing.  I can get out of it by hitting
or holding down a read key (I default to numpad 2), and after 6-10 hits,
the DEC will start saying the current character, and all will be back
to normal.

I know that the keys continue working, even when the speech has stopped,
because if I hold line up, or line down, I will hear the top/bottom of
screen beeps.

I believe this to be a flow control problem.

Luke