question about what speakup can read

Speakup is only for the text console, it will not read any of the GUI
systems like gnome (the git version of speakup automatically disables
speakup in those consoles not in text mode). For gnome use orca. There
are different screen readers for both the text console and gnome, but I
feel speakup and orca are the best. Both orca and speakup can exist
happily on the same system, I have that set up here and other distros
certainly have shipped like that in the past (ubuntu being the example I
am thinking of).

Michael whapples