Saving Settings?

Well I tried changing settings in the /etc/speakup/dectlk directory, but
obviously just editing with nano won't just save-and-make them affective.
OK, here's the strange part, now when I type a capital letter, each letter is
surrounded by 2  d  so typing cap f  would say dfd  no pitch changes, even when
I changed values in capstart-and-stop.
Seemed that a while ago if you changed a parameter-and-it were out-of-range, it
would mention its alowd values.
I also thought there were some help system for these files?
And lastly, I was most surprised that I type man speakup  and there are no
entries.
Really I wish I could say any of the DecTalk issues had become better, but
still even after an upgrade to FC9 and new colonels, still, seemingly when we
encounter case changes, the pitch-and-rate get knocked down, I must alter the
values by 1 to fixit, but even when I boot the machine, the pitch is set on 81
instead of 141, the rate is 10 instead of 7.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Hart