Pine, exim, and authentication

Hi.

This is just a guess.  I've seen other DSL providers who require authentication, but there server doesn't support secure authentication.
I had to tell exim to send user ID and password in plain text to get things to work.  Linux assumes it should send
passwords securely, but some ISPs are brain dead.

Hope this helps.
          Kenny