debian packages

the first was xserver-xorg.  After having done that I did get a normal
xorg.conf file built.  Next x11-common had to be reconfigured to answer
some security-related questions.  Now I find out xserver-xorg-core
installed incorrectly since the /etc/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy file isn't
where it ought to be and I may have to untar that package to get at it
though I'm hoping that'll be all that is needd from that package.  When
debian does a reinstall it only replaces configuration files if some very
obscure syntax gets used.  I got a bunch of lines after SecurityPolicy
file missing fatal with expected keysynth followed by numbers and what may
be screen modification instructions and then the system can't used font
"fixed".