Speakup with Ubuntu

Hermann wrote:
> Orca and Speakup both need the Festival server running, and that is
> maybe what causes the trouble.

It is possible if you run Orca with the Speech Dispatcher backend (see
http://live.gnome.org/Orca/SpeechDispatcher).

The only problem I can think of would be if Orca tries to start the
Gnome Speech Festival driver at startup.  A very dirty solution to this
problem would be to remove "gnomespeechfactory" form the configuration
variable 'speechFactoryModules' in the file 'settings.py' within your
Orca instalation directory
('/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/orca/' by default).  Please let
me know if that helps.  If that's the case, I'll try to find way to
avoid this conflict without such dirty tricks.

Best regards, Tomas