speech-dispatcher beta 1, no speech

Hi all, I installed the speech-dispatcher 0.6.4 beta 1 today, and
have a few problems.  Not sure if they are a problem with the beta or
something on my system, but if someone could help me sort it out, it
would be greatly appreciated.  When I rebooted my computer after
install, and recompiling the python bindings, I get no speech.  I
then got orca back to a speakable state, and found the following
problems when I examined /var/log/speechd.log, I see the message "bad
syntax from module Espeak.  I also see some problems with module
ibmtts.  The messages are: Broken pipe to module and library not
compiled with alsa support.  Anyone have any suggestions?  As always,
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much in advance,

Guy