debian 4.0 install

----- Original Message -----
From: <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <speakup at braille.uwo.ca>
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 4:47 PM
Subject: debian 4.0 install

> Hi,
>
> I have the latest debian iso from shane.
>
> I have been through the install but intend to do it again and make a
> better job of it.
>
> I am wondering what I should do with the third option of the country
> selection.  I selected english for language, uk for country then I got
> another option which I am unsure about?
>
> Also, wonder about the keyboard options?
IIRC, it's asking you to select a locale and a keyboard layout. You should
be able to accept defaults for each. A locale is a way of customizing linux
for particular cultures -- whether to use a comma or a period for a decimal
point, for example. A keyboard layout sets how linux interacts with your
keyboard.   The installer tries to figure out these values based on your
previous selections. The defaults will probably work for you.

> I also notice that there is an option to remove unneeded
> components, is there a way of determining what I can remove from
> this section?

You shouldn't bother with this unless you are short on disk space. A default
install takes only about 4 Gb. That includes the GUI. > I just created a
dual-boot linux and Windows XP system on a 15 Gb hard drive and I still have
plenty of space to spare.