file permission problem

Thanks, Adam. Both those things are distinct possibilities. I recently
was convinced my HD was failing since I had a difficult time getting it
to boot up after a complete shutdown. I did a backup and asked my HW guy
to replace it, but what he found was a defective component in the power
supply instead of a bad disk. We might have both been right. But I have
a HD I am still nervous about, although no more restart problems.

I'll follow your suggestions.

Chuck