speakup and usb keyboards?

The USB Keyboard support is enabled in my bios, since I can control my
bootloader (grub) just fine. I think it's the fact that the kernel
doesn't load the keyboard modules for a few seconds after it boots - on
the grml live cd I have ot listen to the boot messages for about 15 or
30 seconds before I can get it to shut up, but on my debian boot or grml
from the hd only the first line.