  <virtualhost 1.2.3.4:443>
servername www.placeholder.com
documentroot /var/www/placeholder.com-ssl
serveradmin webmaster at placeholder.com
#<ifmodule mod_ssl.c>
sslengine on
sslcertificatefile /etc/apache/placeholder.com.crt
sslcertificatekeyfile /etc/apache/placeholder.com.key
setenvif User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown
#</ifmodule>
</virtualhost>

<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4:80>
DocumentRoot /var/www/placeholder.com
ServerName www.placeholder.com
ServerAlias placeholder.com
</VirtualHost>

lynx to https://1.2.3.4 will get me a self-signed cert warning, and
if I accept that, a 1.2.3.4 != cert (www.placeholder.com) warning.
If I accept that, I get the proper content.
If I don't, the access attempt fails.

If I go to https://www.placeholder.com, however, I don't even get the
cert warning (self-signed), and since lynx is set to autodeny by default,
it shouldn't work at all.  However, I get to the secure content, with no
trouble.

Additionally, this happens:

atlas:/etc/apache# openssl s_client -port 443
CONNECTED(00000003)
18283:error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown
protocol:s23_clnt.c:460:
atlas:/etc/apache#

Not quite sure what this is telling me.

Any further ideas, on this slightly modified problem?

Thanks for putting me on the right track with the previous.

Luke