Confused on windows verses Linux networking

Domain name servers are what translate domains, the ip address, into web
addresses, like http://www.webserver.com.  Without one and without a
domain name I believe that isn't possible.  Your 192.168.xxx address for
the linux machine isn't set to any domain.  If you have multible ip
addresses, you could try to connect to one of them from the other.  I'm
guessing you don't and have nat running?  That means one outer ip address
with multiple on your sub-net.  To summarize, your problem is like you
giving yourself an address which is different then your mailing address.