changing synthesisers under speakup

My speakup is actually using the braille'nspeak but the file synth_name
under /proc/speakup contains acntsa  So I thought I would just change the
file to contain bns.  When I did this and said yes I really want to modify
the buffer, speakup said braille'nspeak driver version blablabla invalid
argument then stopped talking.  What's the better way to do what I want?
Sean