important, need to get software synth running

Hello.  I have fedora installed but speakup isn't speaking.  I think its
because of this apolo but am not sure.

I think I'm doomed.  when I use the lines
setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
modprobe speakup_{synth_keyword}
it tells me that modprobe has failed.

can I stress enough that I'm really anxious to get this working?  I think
the line for speakup is in grub somewhere.  can I find out where that is?

Thanks

Darragh