OCR -- Was "Why I Choose Linux"

I'd really like to know how you get anything useful out of Gocr.  Every
time I've tried to use it, I've gotten mostly gibberish with maybe a few
words intact.  Even a perfectly clean printout from an ink-jet printer
will return mostly blank characters under Linux while being recognized
fairly well under Windows.  So, any tips to improve Gocr's performance?