configuring the network after debian install.

Hi

Speaking of network problems, I have what I believe is a ne 2000 compatible
card.
Windows just calls it an
ISA Plug-and-play Ethernet Adapter
It was installed a few years ago for the cable modem service.
I am using the kernel that is the default for the debian potato
installation.. 2.2.18pre21
when I load the driver via a module I get..
modprobe ne io=0x300
it finds it and gives it irq 3, I've also tried 5 9 10 11
and still get the same messages.
I configure it and give it an ip address of 10.0.0.1/24 and when I ping
10.0.0.2/24 I get
neighbour table overflow
over and over again and no response to my ping
in the
kernel output messages (dmesg)
I get
eth0 tx timed out, lost interrupt, and a string of numbers and letters.
what do those errors mean? What should be the best way to fix it?

        -------------------------
Patrick Turnage
e-mail:pturnage at tampabay.rr.com
Telephone: (850) 459-7717