Playing DVDs in linux console. (mplayer installation)

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002, Charles Hallenbeck wrote:

> However - my computer has no DVD drive, and I have only a 56K
> modem dialup connection. I wonder if there are any sources I can
> tap with such limitations.

Well, you could try looking on the Gnutella network.  There is a very
accessible console client called gnut.  go to:
http://www.gnutelliums.com
for all info about gnutella.

> I looked through the documentation files and man pages for
> information about mime types for movie streams but could not find
> any. Can you suggest what mime types and filename suffixes ought
> to be added to the .mimetypes file?

Well, although I haven't installed mplayer yet, it would appear thatt .asx
files can be played with mplayer.  There's already one entry in mime.types
for this, but it is not the only one.  You can also add:

application/x-ms-asf	asx

These are for windows Media Player streams.

HTH
Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808