problems installing debian

I appologize for the crosspost but I'm desperate.  I'm trying to install
debian from my dos partition.  I downloaded the following files from the
speakup site: root.bin, rescue.bin, loadlin.exe, the linux kernel for ltlk
which I renamed linux (also made sure rescue.bin was the one for ltlk),
drivers.tgz, install.bat.  Follwoing Matt Campbell's instructions I
created a DOS directory debboot and under that dosutils and images-1.44
directories.  In the images-1.44 I have root.bin and rescue.bin.  In the
dosutils directory I have loadlin.exe.  In the main debboot directory I
have drivers.tgz, install.bat, base2_2.tgz and linux (the kernel).  I turn
on the computer and go into DOS without my screen reader; zipspeak is also
on this drive but I am not in zipspeak.  I go into the debboot directory
and type "install".  Everything begins with ltlk much as zipspeak begins
but with the .17 kernel instead of .16.  But instead of taking me to where
I can install I eventually get "runaway modprobe:  unable to open
dependencies files; /lib/modules/modprobe (I think that's right) no such
file or directory" and it goes on and on like that.  Can anybody help me
here, please?!!!

Cheryl