Re: RFC v3 - handling format strings (prinf)

On Thu, Nov 01, 2018 at 06:11:12PM +0000, Ben Dooks wrote:
> I'm not reposting the parsing bit, unless people would like it
> again, it seems to have already been well reviewed.

OK. Its fine for now but, please, if/when you do a next
version, resent the whole series (it makes things much
easier to check if needed and people can test it easily
by first doing 'git am ...' on the concatenated patches
without having to look after some previous parts).

> This is a new evaluate patch and the test suite to add some
> validation to go with it. It requires the ptr_list_nth_entry()
> from Luc which i've fudged into the series. I've put a patch in
> to help clean the validation output as it generates a lot of
> files.
>
> I've improved the printf handling since the previous version,
> it now runs a table of formats and has handling for positional
> arguments, widths, precisions and other fun bits of the printf
> formatting that I am becoming to think is a bit crazy.
>
> The current issues are:
>
> I've still not got the pointer evaluationm right, but it sort
> of works enough to get it tested. This will need a bit of work
> but does that need to be done for the initial merge?

OK. I'll take a look at it, probably this WE.

> Do we want to have -Wformat as default for the initial merge?
> If not i'll add a patch to default it off, so we can revert it
> once this is sorted

Probably best to first keep it off by default.

Kind regards,
-- Luc