Re: sparse maintenance pace?

On 28 February 2018 at 20:55, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Bugs and mis-designed happen. They can be annoying and irritating and
> embarrassing. But they are also just reality of any development.

As I am trying to use Sparse as the basis of a compiler I guess I'd
rather not have bugs introduced ... it is hard to sell a compiler to
users if that compiler occasionally just generates bad code. I think
the problem is that the Sparse IR optimization has not yet reached a
point of stability / correctness - and in that situation, adding more
unstable changes rapidly means that it will never hit that stable
point. Once it has reached that point I guess things would be
different. Personally I can't see how in the absence of solid
regression test framework this can be overcome. Again I am coming at
this from the point of view that I cannot have a compiler that
generates wrong code every so often.

Regards
Dibyendu