Re: sparse maintenance pace?

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 12:04 PM, Dibyendu Majumdar
<mobile@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sometimes I wish the upstream projects were frozen
> forever - as it is so painful merging changes.

The solution to that tends to be

 (a) merge often enough that the pain is minimized

 (b) try to not diverge (you already apparently do that) by organizing
your own changes so that they are as independent as possible

 (c) try to send patches upstream that help your project - at least
for merge purposes

Note that (c) can be a huge deal, but it requires that you make sure
your patches make sense in the context of upstream, not just in your
own context.

It's often painful. In the kernel, some projects have been very good
at it. The RT people spent a lot of effort on (c), and it paid off for
them, to the point where not only did merges get easier, but most of
their code ended up being upstream too.

Other projects haven't tried as hard.

         Linus