Re: sparse maintenance pace?

On 28 February 2018 at 20:22, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 12:04 PM, Dibyendu Majumdar
> <mobile@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Sometimes I wish the upstream projects were frozen
>> forever - as it is so painful merging changes.
>
> The solution to that tends to be
>
>  (a) merge often enough that the pain is minimized
>
>  (b) try to not diverge (you already apparently do that) by organizing
> your own changes so that they are as independent as possible
>
>  (c) try to send patches upstream that help your project - at least
> for merge purposes
>
> Note that (c) can be a huge deal, but it requires that you make sure
> your patches make sense in the context of upstream, not just in your
> own context.
>
> It's often painful. In the kernel, some projects have been very good
> at it. The RT people spent a lot of effort on (c), and it paid off for
> them, to the point where not only did merges get easier, but most of
> their code ended up being upstream too.
>
> Other projects haven't tried as hard.

I would love to submit patches - and hoping to do this for the LLVM
backend in Sparse, and after that hopefully all the tests. My other
changes are to do with making Sparse a robust library - avoid
polluting global namespace, avoid global / static variables, graceful
error handling etc. The problem is that these changes can't be
submitted piecemeal - and if I submitted a huge patch that touches all
files - it will probably not be palatable!

Regards
Dibyendu