Re: [RFC v0 0/4] Give a type to constants too

Hi Luc,

On 11 August 2017 at 12:49, Luc Van Oostenryck
<luc.vanoostenryck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 11:28:23AM +0100, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
>> On 10 August 2017 at 23:34, Luc Van Oostenryck
>> <luc.vanoostenryck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > * the OP_PUSH instructions do a perfect job of giving a type to functions
>> >   arguments
>> > * the OP_PUSH instructions also nicely abstract away the *operation* of
>> >   argument passing that all architectures have. It's a good thing.
>> >

>> It is true that OP_PUSH instructions resolved the issue I was having.
>> However there is something odd about them as they are not really
>> instructions in the instruction stream, are they? They get added as
>> arguments to the OP_CALL instruction. The solution works great though.
>
> Yes, they are somehow odd.

I am trying to think why I find them odd. I suppose being used to LLVM
IR - where each instruction results in a new value, I wasn't sure how
the push instruction plays with everything else. But since we ignore
them in the LLVM backend except as arguments to CALL, it doesn't make
any difference in practical terms. I also ignore these instructions in
my NanoJIT backend except as arguments to CALL.

Regards
Dibyendu