Re: Sparse licensing

On 7/3/09, Josh Triplett <josh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 06:27:52PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> Can you weigh in on the licensing threads, pretty please?  That is
>> still blocked on you, AFAIK.
>
> Sure.
>
> For my part, I'd *love* to see Sparse relicensed to something more
> palatable.  Ideally, I'd love to see Sparse become GPL-compatible.  I'd
> prefer a stronger copyleft over a weaker one.
>
> I have no problem with relicensing Sparse to any of the following
> licenses, in rough order of preference:
>
> - GPL (v2 or v3, with or without "or any later version")
> - LGPL (v2.1 or v3, with or without "or any later version")
> - Either of the above with some kind of additional exception similar to
>   those used for GCC and related libraries.
> - Any of the above dual-licensed with the OSL, if people care about
>   preserving that for some reason.  Seems unnecessarily complex to do
>   so, though.
>
> I'd prefer not to see Sparse relicensed to something entirely
> non-copyleft like the MIT license, but if the rest of the Sparse
> community wants that for some reason, I won't stand in the way.
>
> If you need any more formal approval from me, please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> Josh Triplett
> --

I'm not a lawyer or anything.  Does this mean we're done?  Can the
Debian people move sparse out of non-free?  Can I re-license smatch?

I used the following command to find who might have to sign off.

git log 1bcc92138dcdf718dc3e0c694565f56e669d6ee3 master | grep Author
| cut -d : -f 2- | cut -d '<' -f 1 | sort | uniq -c | sort -n | less

Here are the list of people with other 5 commits.  Maybe you should
need at least 10 to get a vote?

      6  Blue Swirl
      6  Kamil Dudka
      6  Michael Stefaniuc