Re: support for C++ ?

Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Josh Triplett wrote:
>> To the best of my knowledge, nobody involved in the Sparse community has any
>> plans to attempt C++.  I also think that a subset of the language capable of
>> handling any significant number of common programs would end up containing
>> most of the language.  Even basic support for C++ would require large changes
>> to the parser and to the Sparse data structures, and that doesn't even count
>> the huge can of worms that would open once you start running into interactions
>> between Sparse-annotated types and inheritance or overloading.
>
> Indeed.  The gcc people even wrote their own hand-coded C++ parser for
> similar reasons, so I can't see it being an easy integration into
> sparse.  You might as well fork at that point.

While a C++ parser would add significant complexity to Sparse, I would still
prefer to integrate it rather than encouraging people to fork.  I think a
reasonable amount of code sharing would still exist between the C and C++
code, and ideally almost all of the backend code would support both.

- Josh Triplett