Re: support for C++ ?

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> Are there any plans for supporting C++ or any subset thereof? (e.g.
> parsing G++4 syntax but perhaps skipping over some constructs that are
> difficult to handle if it's too much work for now)

To the best of my knowledge, nobody involved in the Sparse community has any
plans to attempt C++.  I also think that a subset of the language capable of
handling any significant number of common programs would end up containing
most of the language.  Even basic support for C++ would require large changes
to the parser and to the Sparse data structures, and that doesn't even count
the huge can of worms that would open once you start running into interactions
between Sparse-annotated types and inheritance or overloading.

I certainly won't rule the idea out; if someone wants to submit clean patches
adding C++ support to Sparse, I would take them.  At the lowest level, code
should still end up looking much like the current Sparse bytecode format.
However, such a project would require a monumental coding effort.

The same thing applies to other C-like languages.

- Josh Triplett