Re: Reg: Serial port driver for microchip's new PCIe UART device

On Wed, Feb 09, 2022 at 10:38:34AM +0000, Kumaravel.Thiagarajan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Dear Greg KH,
>
> I am Kumaravel Thiagarajan from Microchip India.
>
> We are working on a PCIe based multi-instance UART device.
> Based on the Linux community feedback few months back, we had written it as a custom driver inside drivers/tty/serial/8250.
> Now this custom driver is requiring a DWORD FIFO access for both Tx and Rx, and I am in the process of changing my driver code.

Why does the hardware not follow the normal standard here?

And are you sure it will still not fit into the 8250 format?

> Can I model my custom driver on serial drivers present in drivers/tty/serial/ directory?

You could, but it would be much smaller and easier to use the 8250
framework given that you probably do have an 8250-like device, right?

> I am implementing my functions for uart_ops structure and the necessary ISR in a separate file mchp_pci1xxxx_uart.c inside the drivers/tty/serial/ directory.
>
> I wish this custom UART driver to get through Linux community submission.
> Do you see any risk in this approach? Do you have any suggestions?

Let's see the code before we can give you any firm answers.

good luck!

greg k-h