Extending serial port linux driver to toggle RS485 direction pin (GPIO)

Hello,

I have a RS485 hardware shield connected to the hardware uart of a raspberry PI3, where you have to toggle the RS485 driver DIRECTION-pin from within your software during write-commands. The DIR-Pin is connected to a GPIO pin of the PI.

As I do not want to do that in every application software, I thought it could be a good idea to enhance the serial-port driver (locally on my PI) with that functionality. Looking to the sources of amba-pl011.c I thought the "pl011_write"-function could be the right place to do so....but to be honest it seems not to work

Could you please give me a hint where to do that best in the serial port driver? (or is there already a RS485 driver with configurable Dir-GPIO-pin).
Is there a documentation of the serial-port architecture available which could help me to solve my problem?

Bests
Jochen