Re: "No irq handler for vector" problem

Holger,

On Mon, 5 Nov 2018, Holger Schurig wrote:
> > That's a really good question. So one hint is that it's only a few boards
> > and not a really widespread problem. The other is that it goes away when
> > the kernel runs with only one CPU.
>
> Hmm, I noticed that "nr_cpus=1" on the kernel command line greatly
> reduced the frequency. But it was not a complete cure.

Good. I was really worried about a subtle SMP related issue.

> > It looks like an issue when tearing down the serial interrupt, but I need
> > to think more about how to debug that.
>
> Can we have a problem in the APCI tables?  One thing that I saw in the
> kernel logs is that Linux is using the MADT normally, but with
> "noapic=1" it uses Intel MP Spec 1.4 ?!?!   If the ACPI BIOS describes
> the interrupts in a wrong way, then maybe we have an issue here (and not
> in the Haswell architecture, as I originally thought).

I don't think so. With noapic=1 the whole interrupt handling is completely
different, so it's just disabling the delivery path which is usally used.

> Regarding the Haswell: in an Intel document I found the heading "Modile
> 4th Generation Intel Core Processor Family I/O, External design
> specificaton EDS" and below a table. This table said the following
> properties are true for IRQ 3+4:
>
> - SERIRQ: yes,
> - Direct from Pin: no
> - Using PCI Message: yes
>
> I can understand the first two: the IRQs originate from a Winbond
> SuperIO that is attached via LPC.
>
> But the last item confuses me: if the IRQ is delivered via MSI,
> shouldn't I then see PCI-MSI in /proc/interrupts??? Or should the vector
> then be in a different domain, i.E. not in IO-APIC-0 but in PCI-* ????

If it's deliverd via MSI, then yes it would show up in the MSI domain, but
the UART driver does not use MSI for the legacy UARTS.

Though SERIRQ is a really good hint. Let me look into the details of that a
bit more.

Thanks,

	tglx