Re: "No irq handler for vector" problem

Michael,

On Sun, 4 Nov 2018, Michael Shych wrote:

Cc: + serial folks and Holger who reported a similar issue.

> We are experiencing strange serial IRQ problem on our systems with new kernel.
>
> We obtain messages like: "do_IRQ: 0.38 No irq handler for vector".
>
> 1. It's happened with kernel 4.15 and above, tested 4.15 and latest 4.19.
> The problem doesn't happened with kernel 4.14

Yes, because we changed interrupt vector management in 4.15 and that
unearthed issues on some machines which are not yet fully understood.

> 4. The problem exist only in one kind of our platforms with x86 Intel
> Celeron 1047UE CPU (Ivy Bridge architecture CPU with QM77 PCH and UART in
> Winbond NCT5577D SIO).  The problem doesn't happened on our other
> platforms with Intel Broadwell-DE D1508 SoC and with Intel Atom-Rangeley
> C2558 SoC.

> 5. The problem is also happened in appropriate Intel reference board
> (Cougar Canyon).  It has same Ivy Bridge CPU type but different CPU
> model. i7-2715QE instead Celeron 1047UE.

> 7. The problem doesn't happened if system is booted only with 1 CPU core
> (disabled in BIOS or through boot command maxcpus=1), of course, it's not
> a solution.
>
> Could you advise if this problem was observed before and what can be done?

That's a really good question. So one hint is that it's only a few boards
and not a really widespread problem. The other is that it goes away when
the kernel runs with only one CPU.

It looks like an issue when tearing down the serial interrupt, but I need
to think more about how to debug that.

Thanks,

	tglx