Re: Oxford Espresso support?

Peter Hurley <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Can I ask why you're using TIOCMIWAIT rather than the Linux PPS api?
> Perhaps the kernel api needs extended to support other requirements?

Short answer: the question about TIOCMIWAIT support is really about
whether hardware like the Oxford Expresso can pass through
handshake-line transitions in a form Linux can see.  If that isn't true,
the PPS API won't work either. My research suggests this is an issue
with some popular multiport cards like the Comtrol Rocketport that
soft-emulate multiple UARTs in firmware.

The longer answer is...it's complicated.

GPSD actually supports both methods.  We haven't switched over to
the PPS API fully because RFC2783 is a touch underspecified and doesn't
say how to do association from the tty to the associated PPS device
portably, and we're not only concerned with Linux. The maintainer for
our PPS code, Gary Miller, is working the problem.

The test lab I'm designing is intended for the reference NTP
implementation as well as (or more than) GPSD.  NTP (and GPSD)
need to retain the option to *explicitly* wait on DCD for
operating systems like old legacy Unixes or VxWorks or QNX that
don't include RFC2783 but might turn out to have a functional
equivalent of TIOCMIWAIT to wait on handshake lines when we dig
enough. While these are only of minor importance for GPSD, NTP
has a lot of legacy customers.

One of the things I did last week was factor the TIOCMIWAIT/RFC2738
handling in GPSD into a detachable little library that can be plugged
into other programs, with NTP first on the list.  I'm pretty sure Gary's
pulse-discrimination code is the best there is, and this is a problem
that should only be solved once.