Re: Connection to a 3G USB Module using USB-Serial

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 03:58:38PM +0200, Fabio Fumi wrote:
> Thanks Greg for taking som etime to answer.
>
> My kernel is an old 2.6.35.7 and migrating it entirely to 3+ one is a
> real mess (given the number of platfomr customization it includes).

Ick, really old obsolete kernels like that one are not good for trying
to run new hardware with.  I suggest contacting the company that is
forcing you to stick with that version, and getting support from them to
do the needed backporting of this driver.

> So probably the best is to try back-porting the ZTE usb-serial
> driver...  I guess. Is it "drivers/usb/serial/zte_ev.c" what you're
> referring to?  My device is a ZTE MF-210... does the same driver
> really apply for this device too?

I think it does, what is the device/vendor id of it?

> Does the same driver rely on some kernel 3.x-only features?

Yes, all drivers are tied tightly to the specific kernel version they
are released with.

> I can always give it a *blind* try, of course... but better knowing in
> advance, if it won't work.

You can try to backport it, it shouldn't be that hard, but your really
going to be on your own here, sorry.

best of luck,

greg k-h