Re: connect() issues

On 09/19/14 06:53, Michael Tuexen wrote:

I wouldn't say its is obsoleted. It just tells you that a millions of
connection attempts failed. They are different attempts...
I would write the code in a way that I initiate a connection attempt
and wait for the response: Either it is successful or it failed. In
case of failure you can decide if you want to give up, wait for some
time and retry or retry immediately. To be able to do this, it is
important that you can rely on getting either a notification that the
association is up or that it couldn't start. Doing it this way also
makes sure that you consume the notifications you subscribed to.

I agree with you on the motivation and i would have written the code
differently if i was influenced by the above thinking.
What do you think of events blocking other data messages? Would it
make sense to allow partitioning the socket buffer?

Note:the intent here is to do N client connects (on N different sockets)
and that requires non-blocking parallel approach if you want to reduce
latency. I could be more bold and do recvmsg on writeability but the
state machine is a lot simpler with continous connect.
TCP (on Linux at least) works fine.
I am hoping after Vlad's fix this would  maintain that.
currently each connect returns "in progress" and as long as
i dont subscribe for events no socket buffer is being used.

cheers,
jamal