Re: connect() issues

On 19 Sep 2014, at 12:38, Jamal Hadi Salim <jhs@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 09/18/14 15:26, Vlad Yasevich wrote:
>> On 09/18/2014 10:21 AM, Jamal Hadi Salim wrote:
> [..]
>> As Michael pointed out, we can't do that.
>>

> So while i agree with the principle Michael described:
> does reliability make any sense in the case where the previous event
> is obsoleted by current event? There is no new information. You just
> accumulated a million events for one socket all saying "the
> connect failed".
I wouldn't say its is obsoleted. It just tells you that a millions of
connection attempts failed. They are different attempts...
I would write the code in a way that I initiate a connection attempt
and wait for the response: Either it is successful or it failed. In
case of failure you can decide if you want to give up, wait for some
time and retry or retry immediately. To be able to do this, it is
important that you can rely on getting either a notification that the
association is up or that it couldn't start. Doing it this way also
makes sure that you consume the notifications you subscribed to.

Best regards
Michael