Re: Why using configfs as the only interface is wrong for a storage target

Le Mon, 07 Feb 2011 12:09:39 -0800 vous Ãcriviez:

> Sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about.

Sorry too, I'm just a typical target user, and I'm pretty confused.

> We use direct configfs mkdirs and symlinks in our configuration files.

> There are special cases where we use lio-utils.git python code to load
> additional backend device specific metadata (like T10 WWN, persistent
> reservations APTPL, ALUA multipath secondary port state, etc)

The configuration files are actually programs, because even a simple
bash script is a program. I'm getting uneasy. These are not your
regular, non executable config files.

> The whole idea is that configfs re-presents the parent/child
> relationships of data structures whose creation/deletion is driven by
> userspace.

Yes, this is the really good part, and I'll be eternally grateful for
this. Thank you.

> Having python code walk this layout and output the exact
> running configuration is how we save -> reinstate the running config,
> and it's really quite trivial with configfs.

Please understand that at this point, anybody lacking a deep
understanding of kernel innards like me or 99.9% of linux system
admins or users, really don't give a fsck. I actually understand the
problem with using sysfs for that, but the fact is that from a
usability point of view this doesn't make a frigging difference, except
that we have another unfathomable virtual filesystem. We could do just
the same with /proc or /sys, and a startup script for either ietd or
scst or stgt, from the user POV.

So as long as the config is not really, completely automagically made
persistent by some in-kernel mechanism, this isn't any better than a
daemon loading a config file. In fact, it's worse, because it's more
unusual.

> But that is just the simple stuff, where configfs really shines is
> with a object oriented library and high level interactive shell that
> allows the configfs hierarchy to be fully utilized by application
> level programmers and end-user administrators.

You know, my first reaction was :

Aaaaargh. Are you trying to convince me that you've done the windows
registry right this time? I don't want no stinking object oriented
library to manage my scsi targets.

But finally, OK, I see the point for infrastructure. Now tell me, could
we avoid more virtual fs creep in the future ?

What bothers me is that I'm not sure you can make a Ferrari by bolting
new parts onto a Ford, or in this particular case importing Plan9
architectural features into the Linux kernel.