Re: Why using configfs as the only interface is wrong for a storage target

On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 16:02 +0100, Emmanuel Florac wrote:
> Le Mon, 07 Feb 2011 08:41:49 -0600
> James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@xxxxxxx> Ãcrivait:
>
> > I think the overall philosophical point here, and it's a good one
> > because I've heard it from several sources, is that it's not possible
> > to separate configuration from status completely.
>
> This would be true only if the machines weren't ever rebooted. Out of
> this uncommon case, this is even worse than the previous state of the
> matter : instead of having a (eventually nice, human readable)
> configuration file, you need a real program to create dynamically the
> devices at boot time, which is therefore your ACTUAL configuration
> file. So all you're achieving with this philosophy is replacing data
> files by programs -- anyone but kernel programmers will find this a
> terrible idea.
>
> Then to avoid the hassle, someone will have the clever idea to build a
> way to load an INI file into configfs through a specially crafted
> program living in /etc/init.d, and we'll have been going full circle.
> Slow clap... This is the most brain-dead idea I've heard of in a long
> time.

Sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about.

We use direct configfs mkdirs and symlinks in our configuration files.
There are special cases where we use lio-utils.git python code to load
additional backend device specific metadata (like T10 WWN, persistent
reservations APTPL, ALUA multipath secondary port state, etc)

The whole idea is that configfs re-presents the parent/child
relationships of data structures who's creation/deletion is driven by
userspace.  Having python code walk this layout and output the exact
running configuration is how we save -> reinstate the running config,
and it's really quite trivial with configfs.

But that is just the simple stuff, where configfs really shines is with
a object oriented library and high level interactive shell that allows
the configfs hierarchy to be fully utilized by application level
programmers and end-user administrators.

--nab