Re: Why using configfs as the only interface is wrong for a storage target

Le Mon, 07 Feb 2011 08:41:49 -0600
James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@xxxxxxx> écrivait:

> I think the overall philosophical point here, and it's a good one
> because I've heard it from several sources, is that it's not possible
> to separate configuration from status completely.

This would be true only if the machines weren't ever rebooted. Out of
this uncommon case, this is even worse than the previous state of the
matter : instead of having a (eventually nice, human readable)
configuration file, you need a real program to create dynamically the
devices at boot time, which is therefore your ACTUAL configuration
file. So all you're achieving with this philosophy is replacing data
files by programs -- anyone but kernel programmers will find this a
terrible idea.

Then to avoid the hassle, someone will have the clever idea to build a
way to load an INI file into configfs through a specially crafted
program living in /etc/init.d, and we'll have been going full circle.
Slow clap... This is the most brain-dead idea I've heard of in a long
time.

configfs would be a good idea only if the kernel could make it
transparently persistent. Until that happens, it's a near perfect
administor pet peeve.