Re: DIF/DIX updates for 2.6.32

On 08/27/2009 05:51 PM, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 17:40 +0300, Boaz Harrosh wrote:

>>> What about reads to the page?  If you allow them, you get the situation
>>> where something signals a write intent, tries to write and gets put into
>>> wait, then the readers get the old data still.
>>>

>> Is there any guaranty between a parallel write and read about what's first?
>> But I think in my case the reads will also page-fault so I'm not sure yet.
>> Thanks for asking that's a good question that should be taken into
>> consideration.

>>> The correct way to handle this is simply to dump the page being written.
>>> It's dirty and was updated after the last write attempt, so it gets
>>> re-written out.  It costs nothing and it's incredibly fast.
>>>

>> This is not an option on a mirror system, and the performance gain/lose
>> is dependent on the round trip speed. If for every digest error I have an
>> error recovery cycle, delays, and stalls. Then no it is not better. Not
>> to mention some iscsi-targets that reset and the all session must be
>> re-established.
>
> Your suggestion of putting processes to sleep while I/O is pending will
> degrade performance for everyone; that's not really an acceptable
> tradeoff for improving one corner case.

I'm not suggesting that. I'm suggesting sleep on per-page basis. Only the page
been written is blocked. And again do that only if a device sets a flag.
A dm-raid1 will prefer these stalls, to the realloc+copy of the complete IO stream.

I guess we can also sort out two cases here.
[1] Write-behind vr write-to-page-cache. and
[2] memmap vr any-write-out.

Looks like [1] is the more common. Maybe we can just remove pages from cache before
writing them so new writes to same index need to allocate new cache pages.

Also for case [2] we can unmap the written-from pages and if re-written too,
map new physical pages for them.

But that looks like a project that will take years. I'll see what comes up.

>>> What you likely want is a way of telling that the page got re-written so
>>> you don't need to print out scary warning messages about parity
>>> problems.
>>>

>> Maybe that is a start. I guess I could signal a fast abort for these. What
>> would be the cost for this knowledge. I guess O(sglist-size) right? loop
>> on all pages and check? Anything better we can do?
>
> I think it's a page flag indicating write begun on current page.  it
> gets set when I/O is begun and reset if another write comes in in the
> meantime.  Thus you can check before issue if this flag is set ... if it
> is, your digest is likely set.  If not, you need to discard the page
> from the I/O (or redo the digest).

Yes I thought so. The race here is bad so it will only eliminate some of
the bad transitions, not all.

> James

Thanks
Boaz