UNMAP is a hint

> On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 19:31 +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 10:40:24PM -0500, Black_David@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > > There will be a chunk size value available in a VPD page that can
be
> > > used to determine minimum size/alignment.  For openers, I see
essentially
> > > no point in a 512-byte UNMAP, even though it's allowed by the
standard -
> > > I suspect most arrays (and many SSDs) will ignore it, and ignoring
> > > it is definitely within the spirit of the proposed T10 standard
(hint:
> > > I'm one of the people directly working on that proposal).
> >
> > I think this is the crux of the issue. IMO, it's not much of a
standard
> > when the spirit of the standard is to allow everyone to implement
> > different, non-deterministic behaviour....
>
> I disagree. The discard request is a _hint_ from the upper layers, and
> the storage device can act on that hint as it sees fit. There's
nothing
> wrong with that; it doesn't make it "not much of a standard".

Bingo!  That is exactly the spirit and thinking behind the UNMAP
proposal.

Besides, UNMAP is already inherently non-deterministic in that only the
device knows what value will result from reading an unmapped block
(unless the "unmapped blocks always read as zero" bit is set by the
device).

> So I think it's perfectly acceptable for the operating system to treat
> discard requests as a hint, with best-effort semantics. And any device
> which _really_ cares will need to make sure for _itself_ that it
handles
> those hints reliably.

I agree, at least to the extent that the device makes sure make sure
that it reliably handles the hints that it cares about.

Thanks,
--David