thin provisioned LUN support

After talking to some vendors, one issue that came up is that the arrays all have a different size that is used internally to track the SCSI equivalent of TRIM commands (POKE/unmap).

What they would like is for us to coalesce these commands into aligned multiples of these chunks. If not, the target device will most likely ignore the bits at the beginning and end (and all small requests).

I have been thinking about whether or not we can (and should) do anything more than our current best effort to send down large chunks (note that the "chunk" size can range from reasonable sizes like 8KB or so up to close to 1MB!).

One suggestion is that a modified defrag sweep could be used periodically to update the device (a proposal I am not keen on).

Thoughts?

Ric