Re: [DO NOT APPLY] sd take advantage of rotation speed

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 7:31 AM, Martin K. Petersen
<martin.petersen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ric> One other thought - is there a way to give non-rotational devices
> Ric> also some indication of latency? (FLASH is slower than enterprise
> Ric> SSD is slower than DRAM ramdisk for example)?
>
> The current SBC draft only distinguishes between rotating media
> speeds.  There is only one classification for non-rotating media in
> the block device characteristics VPD.
>
> For a mechanical disk drive the rpm isn't a terrible gauge for
> performance.  But for a solid state device I think it will be hard to
> define a similar universal metric.

rpm isn't a great gauge of performance either since the perf is a
function of rpm * bit density.

> Ignoring SLC vs. MLC for a moment I think it's also safe to predict
> that the enterprise drive of today will be the consumer drive of
> tomorrow.
>
> Maybe the ssd device could export the anticipated command response
> time for a request that matches the Optimal Transfer Length field in
> the block limits VPD?

erase and/or write times could be exported as well somehow for SSDs
if the FS (or other higher layer that wants to know) can't avoid
garbage collection and erase cycles. I was just told today that flash devices
have 10x higher write time than read time. erase is another order of
magnitude higher. This doesn't include any garbage collection overhead.

I think new file systems should be tuned to work with SSDs before we
worry so much about the differences between SSDs/flash technologies
and vendors. And then prescribe a different FS for different
storage technologies. This avoids the "layering violations" discussion
and helps keep the FSs (testing and developement) substantially simpler.

grant