Re: [DO NOT APPLY] sd take advantage of rotation speed

Jens Axboe wrote:
On Thu, Jun 19 2008, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
Use the noop elevator by default for drives that do not spin

[Not for applying]

SSDs do not benefit from the elevator.  It just wastes precious CPU cycles.
By selecting the noop elevator by default, we can shave a few microseconds
off each IO.

I've brazenly stolen sd_vpd_inquiry from mkp's patch here:

http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=121264354724277&w=2

No need to have two copies of that ... but this will conflict with his code.

On to the self-criticism:

I don't intend the final version of this patch to include a printk for
the RPM or even a printk to say we switched IO elevator.  I think we're
too verbose in SCSI as it is.

I think there's an opportunity to improve sd_vpd_inquiry() to remove
some of the duplicate code between sd_set_elevator() and sd_block_limits,
but it's not terribly important.

The switching of the elevators isn't particularly nice.  I assume that
elevator_init("noop") cannot fail, which isn't true.  It would be nice
to use the #if 0 block instead, but that causes a null ptr dereference
inside sysfs -- I suspect something isn't set up correctly.

I disagree with this approach. For now, lets just add a queue flag that
says the device doesn't have a seek penalty and let the io schedulers do
what they need to avoid that (it'd be a one-liner change to cfq and as).
There's more to io scheduling than just seek reduction, so this is the
wrong direction to take imo.

Very true - you still will get a significant win by coalescing IO's (say for example, to do larger, aligned writes to flash devices).

ric