Re: PATCH: 64 bit support for dpt_i2o driver

Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> I've been running supermicro hardware with the Adaptec 2005/2010/2015
> zero channel raid controllers for a long while. The dpt_i2o driver
> in the kernel doesn't support 64-bit mode, yet I wanted to run
> a 64-bit system. The i2o_block driver wasn't 64-bit capable either.
> Mark Salyzyn from Adaptec kindly provided me with a 64-bit version
> of the dpt_i2o driver, unfortunately it never made its way to
> the upstream kernel.
>
> In my experience, the dpt_i2o driver is rock-stable for the
> Adaptec ZCR hardware, while the i2o_block driver isn't.
> Because the dpt_i2o driver is still in the kernel and actively
> being used, I decided to merge the essential 64 bits parts
> of the alternative driver into the current kernel dpt_i2o driver.
>
> # --------- dpt_i2o-64bit-2.6.25.patch ----------------
>
> This patch is an update for drivers/scsi/dpt_i2o.c.
> It applies to both 2.6.24.4 and 2.6.25
>
> It contains the following changes:
>
> * 64 bit code based on unofficial Adaptec 64 bit driver
> * removes scsi_module.c dependency, adds module_init / module_exit
>   this is needed because we need to pass the proper device to
>   scsi_add_host(), and the scsi_module.c passes NULL. With NULL,
>   code like arch/x64/kernel/pci-gart_64.c::need_iommu() crashes
>   because the dev pointer it is passed is NULL.
> * adds sysfs entry for /sys/class/dpt_i2o/dptiX so that udev
>   can create /dev/dptiX dynamically
>
> Obviously there are more cleanups that can be done to this code,
> but we need to start somewhere. Patch has been tested heavily on
> both 32 and 64 bit x86 platforms.

Is there any chance that you could split this into (at least) 2 patches, one
for the 64 bit stuff and one for the driver model stuff? This patch is huge,
the review (and the chances for this getting merged) will be higher if it is
in small pieces.

Greetings,

Eike