Re: Add more debug output to sas_scsi_recover_host or sas_eh_handle_sas_errors

hello james,

James Bottomley wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 16:22 +0200, Raoul Bhatia [IPAX] wrote:
>> is there any sens in adding more debug output to sas_scsi_recover_host
>> or sas_eh_handle_sas_errors?
>>
>> e.g. put out SAS_ADDR(task->dev->sas_addr) so that we know whether
>> the error is always occuring on one phy/port/etc. ?
>>
>> the reason for doing this is basically my problems with the aic94xx
>> driver, outlined in http://marc.info/?t=120603924200004.
>
> Probably not really ... it looks like a standard protocol error thrown
> by a Seagate driver, as I said.

the only information from seagate was: you have the latest firmware,
please verify with a different controller.

unfortunatly, until now i haven't been able to test with another disk
and/or controller.

> Did reducing the queue depth and increasing the retries have any
> mitigating effect at all?

mhm, i cannot say for sure as i played a lot with different sequencer
version (which i directly got from adaptec). but as far as i can tell
it did not have a big impact and the errors usually start to appear
within 3-6 minutes.

during my last test (second test with kernel 2.6.20-rc8, default queue
depth) it took 22 minutes, but this happens very seldom.

> The correct fix, which is to handle the REQ_TASK_ABORT on the fly is
> still in the works.

ok, do you have any eta for this? what about luben's comment in the

someone from adaptec took a look into this issue. i am currently asking
whether i am allowed forward the conversation to you (or any other
kernel developer who is interested).

the discussion was basically about a pci-bus vs sas-bus (realtime-bus)
issue.

cheers,
raoul
- --
DI (FH) Raoul Bhatia M.Sc.          email.          r.bhatia@xxxxxxx
Technischer Leiter

IPAX - Aloy Bhatia Hava OEG         web.          http://www.ipax.at
Barawitzkagasse 10/2/2/11           email.            office@xxxxxxx
1190 Wien                           tel.               +43 1 3670030
FN 277995t HG Wien                  fax.            +43 1 3670030 15