Re: Bug in the scsi_id (0.9 version) utility

This is incorrect; SPC does specify zero in reserved fields.

The SAM definitions section and the SPC Keywords section provides a
definition of what should be in a reserved field.

Thanks for the clarification.  I've submitted the bug to OpenSolaris.

That said we are not required to be checking the reserved fields for zero
but in this case we are doing so to work around another device issue.

Instead of adding yet another device work around to the "if" which
makes it hard to rework the code in the future as you do not know how many
vendor, models are running through certain non compliant checks (i.e. more
than the intend models may exhibit like behavior).

We possible should look at updating how we handle not compliant behavior.
scsi_id.config is available but that must not be useful in all cases as
the standard page 83 code has a check for the pre-spc3-83 case even though
it is selectable through the config file and command line.

Some type of blacklist might work: we're already starting to find USB
devices that aren't too happy with VPD inquiries.

That makes sense. Please let me know what you decide, and if there's anything more I can do to help.

Kevin